- Develop guidelines for tsunami risk assessment in the marine and land environment as part of a global multi-hazard risk management framework.
- Provide guidance to emergency response managers on the preparation of risk assessment products.
- Facilitate the application and use of inundation model outputs for tsunami hazard and risk assessment.
- Facilitate data sharing, including access to and development of databases, incorporating exposure, tsunami hazard and vulnerability.
- Facilitate capacity building, including knowledge transfer, in the form of workshops, training programs and case studies for risk assessment in all Indian Ocean countries.
- Provide advice and develop guidelines on hazard mitigation (physical interventions – artificial and natural methods)
- Liaise with Working Groups from the other ocean basins, as well as other working groups within ICG/IOTWS to coordinate and ensure efficient and effective information for tsunami risk assessment and reduction.
The Group will be composed of members nominated by Member States, invited observers, with a chairperson and a vice-chairperson to be elected.