- Monitor existing international and national arrangements with regards to seismic, sea level and other kinds of measurements, data collection and exchange;
- Promote best practices to ensure that all events likely to cause tsunami can be reliably located and sized in a timely manner;
- Review and make recommendations regarding upgrades and enhancements to the IOTWS seismic and sea level stations and networks, communications, processing and analysis to optimise the time required for source characterization and tsunami verification to meet desired warning responses;
- Coordinate and monitor operational implementation of [the upstream part of] warning systems in the Indian Ocean, including ongoing development and benchmarking of tsunami detection, verification and forecast systems, integrated with coastal inundation caused by storm surges and tropical cyclones within multi-hazard approaches and frameworks;
- Coordinate the implementation of the Regional Tsunami Watch Provider (RTWP) Service and transition from Interim Advisory Service (IAS), including the development and maintenance of User Guides.
- Review and report on various means of transmitting data and products to and from warning centres, and conduct tests of latency (timeliness) of transmissions as required;
- Liaise with the appropriate organizations and relevant experts to ensure effective data representation and code forms are used for the exchange of data (standards, metadata requirements);
- Develop, coordinate and help implement training and capacity building programmes for National Tsunami Warning Centres (NTWCs) to utilise RTWP Service, including development of guidelines for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Liaise with Working Groups from the other ocean basins, as well as other working groups within ICG/IOTWS to coordinate and ensure efficient and effective information for tsunami detection, warning and dissemination.
The Group will be composed of members nominated by Member States, invited observers, with a chairperson and a vice-chairperson to be elected.